[OM] Re: [OT] Anyone got Vonage VOIP service?

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] Anyone got Vonage VOIP service?
From: Mike <watershed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2008 09:56:41 -0700

> Actually, an increasing number of people have their mobiles as their
> only phone these days. ...
Bad idea around here for many reasons.

a) sketchy service. No service here at the house at all. While driving
around you see people parked at known hot spots. Typical conversation
goes something like this, "...you're fading out. Call me back when you
get to a real phone." Or you get a bill with international roaming
charges since you picked up a tower on Saltspring Island.

2) I want E911

third: ADSL. No cable around here

D) and I need a phone when the power goes out. Cell phones are great...
until the battery goes dead.

I considered a cell phone for emergencies when we go traveling. Problem
is that we travel to places with no cell service. Generally no service
in the mountains after it (cell service) went digital. It would have
been comforting to be able to call for assistance while out in the
desert in Nevada last week but a cell phone is useless there.

I actually looked into satellite phones. Specifically Globalstar. They
were being sold for $350 for the phone (1600) + set up charge $50 with a
plan at about $12/mo unlimited calling in the N. American zone. However
I have no experience with reception, customer service, etc. Anyone use
one of these? I hear that you have to be outside to get a satellite
lock. Also service can be problem at certain times of day until they
launch more satellites.

Mike