[OM] Re: The film guys ....

Subject: [OM] Re: The film guys ....
From: "Ken Norton" <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2008 09:12:13 -0500
>If you just look at the numbers comparing film with digital, they're all
>stacked against film, but film has less tangible qualities which often make
>it the choice for people who aren't taking photographs just to make a buck.

Next time I need to photograph a bunch of numbers, I'll remember that.

Funny thing happened on the way to digital.  A few years back I was on the
forefront of digital audio.  I worked in the product development side to the
pro-audio and broadcast industries and helped convince the world that it was
the better way to go.  It really was!  However, not entirely.  For over five
years I worked with some of the very top audio engineers in the world on
developing new editing techniques and finding ways to actually make use of
this new power.  Those were heady days when we recognized that we could
mimick ANYTHING in digital.  All it took was an algorithm.  Why, then, 10
years later, tube microphones, classic compressors and brittish eqs are
still in high demand?

AG