[OM] Re: IMG: Autumn Colors

Subject: [OM] Re: IMG: Autumn Colors
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2008 09:46:25 -0400
When dealing with color spaces one should understand that there is a
difference between output color spaces and editing color spaces.  The
sRGB space was designed for output on monitors and most pro labs will
expect an image to be sRGB for printing.  If it's not they'll convert
it.  Other color spaces may be useful while editing in the same sense
that Moose often recommends using 16 bits while editing.  If you're
using a monitor it will not be able to display the full gamut on some
color spaces but the additional width may prevent some colors from going
out of gamut during editing.  That at least allows the data to be
retained when it is finally converted back down to an output space.  Me,
I'm not doing product photography with critical color requirements and
wouldn't even know how.  I stick with sRGB.  Works for me and the lab.

Chuck Norcutt