[OM] Re: It is now official - My primary camera bag is now aDigital-F

Subject: [OM] Re: It is now official - My primary camera bag is now aDigital-Free Zone
From: WayneS <om3ti@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2008 15:14:42 -0400
At 11:23 PM 10/28/2008, you wrote:
>WayneS wrote:

>> With the 5D, the spot meter mode is tricky - I'm always forgetting I have to
>> spot and lock between shots, so invariably I screw up a few exposures.
>Been there, done that, don't use the spot.
><snip>
>
>For my use, multiple focus points are just a nuisance, anyway.  I set
>the 5D to central point only and leave it there.  Like Chuck, I think
>the histogram is close to the ultimate exposure tool. My default setting
>on the 5D is -2/3 EV, and I adjust from there when needed based on the
>histogram.

You may be right, hence I'm on this list to refresh how to ride my bike.
The variation I see you would not if you use the central focus point.
As I've said, I hate to take my eye off the viewfinder. I liked the 5060
because you could aim the spot around and it would show where that
spot was on the overall histogram. That was cool. Do any of the live
view cameras have that feature?
>> It is just too easy to let the camera do it all, and let the extra dynamic
>> range and post processing take care of the rest.
>>

>I suppose I have to ask why. For me, photography is mostly about subject
>and composition. I've been happy to learn all the technical details and
>techniques of "the light game", but I'm also quite happy when the camera
>does a good job of that on its own, leaving me to the "important" - and
>fun - parts.

'cause I'm a freaken engineer I guess. As I recall, I preferred Slide film
while you preferred print film? for similar reasons, and my memory is
not very good. Mostly I find the exercise of opening up and becoming
artistically sensitive the most challenging, for me it is easier to get
technical than open. Mostly the inner critic needs strangling first.

>I think you were away when Dr. Flash waxed eloquent about Canon flash.
I'll have to look it up. I have two can*n flashes as well as an infrared
remote. However, I don't use flash much either; I'm more of a weekend
photographer, when not repairing the water damage and rotting wood
on the back of my house:

http://www.zuik.net/5D/800_MG_5627.jpg

One of the neglected things from spending too much effort on a startup.

Thanks
WayneS