[OM] Re: Macs r us

Subject: [OM] Re: Macs r us
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2008 23:28:02 -0700
> From: Robert Burnette <r.burnette@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> Go to <applestore.com> and check out the Sale items link on the near
> bottom of the left side of the page. There are several good buys on
> refurbished MacBooks and MacBookPros. If you're not afraid of a
> factory refurbished job you may find what you want at a reduced price.

My dad and I have both had bad experiences with Mac refurbs.

A risk you run with refurbs (of any brand) is that of intermittent
problems that the service depot was not able to verify. Such computers
have a "critical need detector circuit" that will allow it to survive
a week's worth of unattended service depot testing with random data,
but as soon as you put something crucial on it, it will detect that
and die.

:::: In a low-energy future... the wealth of nations will be measured
by the quantity and quality of their forests. -- David Holmgren ::::
:::: Jan Steinman, http://www.EcoReality.org ::::