[OM] Re: OT Cheap lens

Subject: [OM] Re: OT Cheap lens
From: usher99@xxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2008 20:45:00 -0400
Hey, you gored my bull yet again  ;-)   Many in the archives have
considered it approaching the exalted Z. 35-80 2.8 with a bit more
reach.  I believe John Lind became enamored of it.  I typically don't
try and use it at large apertures esp at the wide end but did so
recently.  I do occ notice the barrel distortion as stated but it is
modest and not a complicated distortion to fix, if need be.  I wonder
how much sample variation there is.  I would think some type of index
of dispersion with the MTF data would be VERY useful, but is NEVER
provided.  Canyon's MTF curves are calculated and not even measured
AFAIK.

http://old.photodo.com/prod/lens/detail/TaSP35-105_28-828.shtml

The MTF score is very good which seems to be a necessary but
insufficient conditon for a super lens.

The Zuiko has more even performance over the apertures and likely less
corner softness esp at the wide end though with the same avg weighted
MTF score of 3.6.  Yes, I have tried to snipe one or two but they are
still usually over fourfold as expensive as the Tam.  AG has commented
that he liked the Tok ATX 35-70/2.8.

http://www.photodo.com/product_174_p4.html

Mike