[OM] [OT] South Africa

Subject: [OM] [OT] South Africa
From: Brian Gray <brian.gray@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2008 12:46:07 +0100
< David Loubser wrote Re: Off topic: Another brush with South African crime...
This is the sad thing - one either has to completely diminish one's life
quality and trust in other human beings by arming oneself (and building
an even tighter prison for a home) or one has to find a better place to
live.
<
There may be no other South Africans on the list but this member at
least has very many relatives with ages from 1 to 80 in the country
so the country's woes are of concern.  I have had one great,
extended, holiday in the country but am very aware that long before
that one relative, now dead, was seriously injured in an attack in
her own home which did not involve firearms.  I am also aware that
during the apartheid era I read seriously racist comments in letters
from at least one, now dead, close relative.  It looks as if it will
take a long time before race is not an issue and people of all
colours will be judged for what they are and not by stereotypes of
people with their background.

But, if you do go to the country, and much of the scenery is
beautiful, be prepared to take many pictures with your Olympus cameras, I did.

Brian