[OM] Re: IMG: Nathan's PAW 40: Alicante snippets again

Subject: [OM] Re: IMG: Nathan's PAW 40: Alicante snippets again
From: Nathan Wajsman <photo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 6 Oct 2008 07:08:01 +0200
Hi Chuck, Moose, Andrew (and others who have been surprised by the
main picture):

Alicante has about 400,000 inhabitants, so it is not that small. The
area you see in my picture is a peninsula called Cabo Huertas, which
is about 5 km north of the city. I took the picture from the highest
point in Alicante, a medieval castle on top of a tall hill overlooking
the city. The particular area visible is the main beach area and of
course everyone who buys an apartment there wants a beach view or at
least to be close to the beach. The only way that can be accomplished
is to build high and tight. However, the fact that I used a longish
telephoto (the Zuiko 50-200mm close to its long end) also compresses
the perspective. In reality, when you walk or drive among those
buildings, there is a lot of space and greenery around.

In the centre, Alicante has old buildings, narrow streets etc., in
other words, what you expect to find in a Spanish city. That is the
part of town I show most often in my images, so perhaps that is why
you guys were surprised by this different view. The centre of Alicante
is very attractive. You have the waterfront promenade, like
Barcelona's Rambla but along the water, and you get into the old city
(here simply called the Barrio) just by walking a few hundred metres
away from the sea.

The main business of Alicante has long been tourism and associated
services. But the city also has a large university and a thriving
service industry. When the EU decided to locate the agency where I
work (www.oami.europa.eu) in Spain back in the mid-1990s, the Spanish
government in turn decided to place it in Alicante rather than the
more obvious choices of Madrid or Barcelona precisely in order to
diversify the local economy a bit. To some extent it has worked: there
are several IP law firms that have opened offices here, the local
university has a major program in IP law, a European School was built
(every child of an EU employee has a right to be educated in its
mother tongue, so the EU has its own system of schools), and last but
not least, several hundred well-paid civil servants now live in
Alicante and spend their money here.

So that's what it is. No reason to get scared, this really is a very
nice place.

Cheers and as always thanks for looking,
Nathan

Nathan Wajsman
Alicante, Spain
http://www.frozenlight.eu