[OM] Re: New lightweight OM-1

Subject: [OM] Re: New lightweight OM-1
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2008 22:09:44 -0700
jgettis81@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Me too in fact I have always wanted both the Camera and the gun, John

Garand or carbine?

As a non gun person, I almost never understand gun references. The M1 I
do though. I became all too familiar with the Garand during boot camp,
learning how to field strip, clean and throw it around in all the arms
handling and presentation drills we had to learn.

They also dragged us out to increase the lead content of a hill or two
at Camp Parks, where it turned out I was a pretty good shot, besting all
the guys boasting about their shooting prowess on the bus going there.
Possible a fluke where the sheer mass of the thing threw them off? That
rifle is sort of like a Nikon F2, you could beat people to death with it
and it would still work fine with some more ammo.

I also shot an M1 carbine with a friend and his father when younger.
Certainly much lighter and easier to use. That covers two of the three
guns I could name the I've ever shot, the Colt 1911 naturally being the
other.

No, I never saw a gun fired "for real" during my "career" in the Coast
Guard. A ship I was on did fire a couple of hedgehogs at a buoy for
target practice - and scared the crap out of the captain by almost
hitting it. And some officers shot skeet off the fantail of a cutter out
in the middle of the Pacific once.

Moose