[OM] question on how to charge for a photo shoot

Subject: [OM] question on how to charge for a photo shoot
From: Richard Lovison <rlovison@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 08 Sep 2008 08:40:15 -0400
Hello all,

I've been away for a while though I was lurking. :)

I was asked to do an architectural shoot for the school where my wife
works. There was major renovation done to one of the main buildings and
they wanted a couple of images to make several award plaques for those
that contributed to the renovation. The contractor was backed against
the wall as he ran right up to the time the students returned so I was
forced to shoot with some construction equipment and debris in the
pictures. This was taken care of in PS.

So what I intended to do was charge one rate for my time to do the
shoot, another rate for PS editing and then a price for each 8x10
created. I used my wife's laptop and LR to make the initial presentation
of the images taken.

They liked the photos so much that after choosing two for the award
plaque they also chose a couple to be used in their bulletin publication
and requested a cdrom with the two tiffs. Here's my questions: Do I
charge them a usage fee for each photo for the bulletin on top of what I
charged for the shoot and editing? Or is it standard practice that I
charge a usage fee for whatever they want (in this case, four images)
and skip the shoot and editing fees?

Richard
--
Richard Lovison Photography