[OM] Re: What are you using for HDR images?

Subject: [OM] Re: What are you using for HDR images?
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 06 Sep 2008 15:56:00 -0700
chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> I thought you would reply that HDR might not have been required and I have to
> admit that I didn't try manipulating one of the middle exposures.  I'll have
> to try that when I get back.

I thought about that. I do think a very good image could come from one
low ISO image that just avoids clipping the sky. However, even in an 8
bit JPEG, the depth of noise free shadow detail in the HDR version makes
tonal adjustment a joy. I do think 8 exposures is overkill in the
interest of experimentation. I suspect two about three stops apart would
do the job.

I have on a few occasions taken bracketed shots thinking to combine them
and found that only one was needed.
> I do like the rework on the HDR images.  They are prettier.  But I'm not sure
> they look like the original scene which was fairly dark.
That's one of the problems with extending the dynamic range. Useful as
it sounds, it either has to be limited to subtle effects or it makes the
tonality look unnatural. I think it is partly due to the very different
way that photography and human vision work. Only the central portion of
our visual field is sharp and sees color. Only the outer portion sees
into shadows. So when we are looking at a scene like this, our eyes move
around and create a virtual composite. Then when we view a photographic
image of the same subject, we carefully put all, or at least most, of it
in the central field.

It just isn't the same thing, so we are trying to find a compromise that
looks good, and conveys the sense of the subject, but is never going to
be the same. On the other hand, no mosquitoes! :-)
> I've come down in definite favor of the rework on #2 but I'm still mulling #1
> although it's slowly sinking in.
I moved these images.
<http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/Others/CNorcutt/Barnstable/hdr_7052-57_std.htm>

Much the way I felt. It was easy to work on #2. It didn't look right to
me and took little coaxing to come into balance.

With #1, the image as presented is quite appealing. It has very much the
feel of sitting on the water at the end of a perfect day, watching the
sun set. Warm, soft and comfy.
<http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/Others/CNorcutt/Barnstable/hdr-58-65_std.htm>

Still, as it was an HDR image, I thought it would be interesting so see
what making more dynamic range visible might contribute. Bringing out
the highlight detail and balancing the central brightness/contrast to
the rest of the image was easy. Bringing up deep shadow detail so it was
there, but not too much so, was tricky. I ended up using mask painting
with low flow to work in those areas.

The result is, I think, quite a pleasing image, but with a very
different feeling tone. I'm not sure I can say one or the other is
"better". Using a mask to blend some of the center soft feel with some
of the outer shadow detail might be better than either - or not. :-)

Moose