[OM] Re: What did I do wrong now?

Subject: [OM] Re: What did I do wrong now?
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 04 Sep 2008 03:00:18 -0700
Steve & Alicia Goss wrote:
> Moose-
> Thank you very much for your efforts. It's a thrill to be Moosterized for the
> first time.
Don't be embarrassed. Everybody has a first time.
> And sorry if I've set you up for a string of bad jokes with that line.

Especially from me.
> For the cabin in Independence, CO, you have returned detail in the tree limbs
> that the scanner hid, and detail in the clouds that I can't even see in the
> slide when looking at it through a loupe.
This is one of the things that amusing me about a lot of HDR talk and
use. There is often quite a bit of recoverable tonal detail in
highlights and shadows that is recoverable without any such effort.
> For the Crystal mill, The original slide is pretty dark, except for the sky
> and the waterfall. The slide doesn't look to have purple in the shadows, but
> it's tough to tell with the loupe.
This seems to be a case where two different exposures could be combined
to cover a greater dynamic range. Except it looks like it was the last
shot on the roll.
> I think I'll see if I can get a better scan.

Yup. I don't think he chances of a cheap one being good are all that
likely. When I first started doing digital editing and printing from
film, I was getting scans with developing that I thought were pretty
good. And those of low contrast subjects weren't too bad. I just went
back and scanned a roll that included some very high dynamic ranges
subjects. The difference is huge.

Moose