[OM] Re: Time-lapse photography

Subject: [OM] Re: Time-lapse photography
From: "Ian Nichols" <ian.a.nichols@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 24 Aug 2008 13:52:05 +0100
2008/8/24 Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> Lucky you. No budget, little time, stick with the E-20 idea.

Always a good idea to use what you've got when time's short ;)

> The good thing is that the E bodies use a simple contact closure for
> the external shutter.

Beware though that many of them don't have a cable release socket.
E-1 and E-3 do, E-300, E-500 and E-330 definitely don't (and require
you to buy an expensive battery grip to get one).  Don't know about
any of the others.

> All you need is the remote cable. Cut it in
> half, and put a mini-stereo plug and jack on both ends.

I got one of these from 7dayshop.com, and the corresponding Minolta
version, for the A-1.

http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=777_1&products_id=103047

What you can't tell from the picture is that there is a 2.5mm 3-pole
jack on the far side, which allows you to plug in a couple of external
switches, or link a couple together to synchronise cameras.  I used
one of these and a home-made timer (1.6 - 30s) with an A-1 to film
some cloud movement.  Used a 5s interval and played back at 25fps, for
smooth movement, so much more often than is necessary for a building
project.

I did find that if left running for too long, the camera would lock-up
after a couple of thousand frames, even though there was plenty of
space left on 1GB card, so there may be a limit to the number of files
per directory.  Changing the card regularly is a good plan for doing
this over an extended time.

--
Stand firm for what you believe in, until and unless logic and experience
prove you wrong. Remember: when the emperor looks naked, the emperor *is*

-Daria Morgendorffer