[OM] Re: Urban Legend Heard at Wallyworld

Subject: [OM] Re: Urban Legend Heard at Wallyworld
From: "Ken Norton" <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2008 15:50:19 -0500
Jan wrote:
>Simply opening it and closing it without re-saving does no harm.
>Otherwise, pictures on websites that are repeatedly viewed (which is
>"opening and closing" them) would rapidly degrade.

Ah, but there is a difference here.  Viewing an image doesn't degrade it.
However printing does.  The printing process depletes each pixel of a bit of
the density.  Displaying an image on a monitor is using "additive" colors
whereas printing is "subtractive".  If you print an image enough times, you
will have subtracted all the bits out of the image.

Good grief, and I have to EXPLAIN all this to you guys?

AG