[OM] Re: Camera as an Automotive Tool

Subject: [OM] Re: Camera as an Automotive Tool
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 17 Aug 2008 21:43:17 -0700
> From: "Bob Docherty" <lostkase@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> I talked myself into a repair project. Well, the garage talked me
> into it
> :) $700 to replace my plastic Mercury Marquis intake manifold.

You don't REALLY mean the intake manifold was plastic, do you? Gawd,
things are not made to be repaired these days, are they?

I've been battling with a 1982 diesel Vanagon. The coolant pressure
reservoir was plastic. It developed hairline cracks and the bottom
blew out. All the ones in junk yards are in similar condition, and you
can't get a new one. The closest thing to that has different sized
ports, and I cobbled together adaptors from different size tubing slid
inside each other, which have failed.

So I'm going to re-create the original out of metal with a MIG welder.
I figure it will take me three days -- a week if I use aluminum. Hope
it's worth it.

(This came up at random. I wonder if de'Exupery had 1982 diesel
Vanagons in mind when he wrote that...)

:::: You know you have reached perfection of design not when you have
nothing more to add, but when you have nothing more to take away. --
Antoine de'Exupery
:::: Jan Steinman <http://www.Bytesmiths.com>