[OM] Re: iView =>MS Expression Media

Subject: [OM] Re: iView =>MS Expression Media
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2008 18:56:18 -0700
Wayne Harridge wrote:
>> Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> Now one disk is cataloged, and it's on to another.
>>
> So what does "catalogued" mean, just that it's found all your image files?

Not quite that easy, it finds them all very quickly. Catalog(u)ed seems
to mean reading all EXIF and suchlike data, either importing the
thumbnail embedded in many files or creating one and saving the whole
mess in a database. One may also have it create and store in its
database a standard size JPEG of each file. I'm not doing that at this
point, as it will obviously make the database much bigger and slow the
process down.

The next step is to identify each file, in groups or individually, with
keywords, all of which go into the database. I believe it also writes
stuff into the image files themselves, if you wish.

So if I then type in "spider, yellow, black", or perhaps "spider,
garden", I will then instantly find where I have the images I've taken
of spiders like the one Jim was posting about.

I'm guessing that writing some of this stuff into the file is useful for
things like image banks and other indexing programs?

It also does other things I've not delved into, like downloading images
from cameras/cards to HD and indexing them in the process, I think it
can also reorganize the actual physical storage of original image files?
And of course all the rating stuff other indexers do.

Mostly, I just want to be able to find stuff easily.

Moose