[OM] Re: Urban Legend Heard at Wallyworld

Subject: [OM] Re: Urban Legend Heard at Wallyworld
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2008 08:46:09 -0400
I would call this not an "urban legend" but rather the case of the
"clueless clerk".  No matter how many times you copy a digital file from
device to device it will remain unaltered.  But I can certainly believe
that the clerk sees grainy 8x10's as a result of initially low
resolution images (I choose the small size because I can get 10,000
shots on one card :-)), extreme ISO on a camera that's already noisy at
ISO 80, too aggressive cropping by the owner at the editing kiosk or,
more likely at home if on a thumbdrive, images aggressively sharpened
in-camera for a 4x6 standard size print... and probably many more.

A well exposed, conservatively sized image from a DSLR is probably the
exception at the Wallyworld counter.

Chuck Norcutt