[OM] Re: polarized skies

Subject: [OM] Re: polarized skies
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 10 Aug 2008 09:16:30 -0400
When I do hand-held panoramas the pieces of the stitched image don't
line up well horizontally which often means cropping a fair amount off
top and bottom.  There's not much that can be done about the ground
level but if there's clear sky at the top I can often rescue that part
of the image by filling the ragged black areas at top with sky from
below.  I've never tried that for your application but it might work so
I'll describe how I do it for the sky at the top of panos.

I use the rectangular marquee tool and draw a narrow rectangle across
the top of the image but completely within the available sky.  Then
right click the selection and choose "Free Transform" (not ordinary
transform, BTW).  For my horizontal section of sky I just grab the top
"handle" and pull it straight up to the top.  As it stretches out it
fills the area with some blend of pixels from the selection below.
Simple, quick and quite effective for that usage.

For your case you'll likely have to operate at an angle so, after making
the selection and selecting "Free Transform", move the cursor outside
the selection box which will allow you to rotate the box around its
center.  You can also slide the box around by clicking on its interior.
  Then grab a "handle" and drag in the direction you want to modify.
Don't worry if the corners of the box go outside the image.  It will
still work properly.

Now, then.  Can you make this work across areas of varying shades and
get the edges to blend in?  I don't know.  I suspect it might be
necessary to do it from multiple directions and maybe even use gaussian
blur within a larger selection to blend anything that looks uneven.  But
it's the simplest solution I can think of.

I'll be anxiously awaiting your report on results.  :-)

Chuck Norcutt