[OM] Re: Any friends in Raleigh, NC?

Subject: [OM] Re: Any friends in Raleigh, NC?
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 05 Aug 2008 20:54:32 -0400
I'm moderately familiar.  I used to travel to IBM Raleigh years ago and
spent pretty much a full summer working on a special project by
commuting there and then back on the weekends via puddle jumper
airlines.  I have a good friend who lives in Cary which is a bedroom
community just a bit west of Raleigh proper.  I visited him there about
a year ago so have been there recently.  I hear rush hour traffic is
awful these days though I suppose that depends strongly on precisely
where you live and where you work.  If your path to work includes
driving on I-40 you may want to investigate alternatives.  I think I-40
is congested around all North Carolina cities.  I know I-40 congestion
extends to the Greensboro/High Point area where my daughter lives.

I rate North Carolina (generally) as a good place to live and work.  The
geography around Raleigh is gently rolling hills, oaks and pine trees
growing in red clay soil, mild winters, hot and humid summers (A/C
required).  The mild winters mean good roads, not full of pot holes.
Heavy winter snow can occur at times and drives everything into a
standstill.  No plows.  Some parts of North Carolina are still the old
south but Raleigh is very cosmopolitan.  Good schools and other
attractions.  Good barbecue throughout the state but there are regional
differences from east to west.  Raleigh is near the dividing line
between vinegar based sauce of the Tidewater area (eastern coastal
plain) and the tomato based sauce of the Piedmont (central area).  I've
never encountered it but I'm told that mustard based sauce predominates
in the Appalachian mountain areas to the west.  "Slaw" will always be
served on your pulled pork sandwiches unless you specify otherwise.  And
the iced tea is always sweet by default unless you specify otherwise as
in "unsweet tea please".

There are lots of nice places to see and visit from the beaches and
tidal marshes of the "Outer Banks" to the "Biltmore mansion" in the more
mountainous area of Ashville.

There are lots of worse places to work.  Not sure of the cost of living
these days.  Moderate I would guess in suburban Raleigh but much cheaper
well outside the city.

If you have some specific questions I can probably get my buddy in Cary
to help out.

Chuck Norcutt