[OM] Visiting Arches National Park

Subject: [OM] Visiting Arches National Park
From: Bob_Benson@xxxxxxxxx
Date: Sat, 2 Aug 2008 22:38:24 -0500
Apparently Chuck is also thinking about places to visit in Utah / Arches.

My experience is that Moab Utah is the central point for the best
experiences in Utah / Arizona / Wyoming.  That's five miles from Arches.

1.  Arches has to be experienced.  There are several excellent hikes,
chief amongst them is Delicate Arch.  But even the drive-through with all
the stopping places are just wonderful.

2.  If you're up to it,  White Rim Road is an especially spectacular and -
even - spiritual experience.  (Remember Thelma and Louise?  Where they
flew off the canyon is on this road,  about 6 miles in.)   It's a dirt
road and bumpy and even scary at times.  But just a wonderful experience.

3.  State 128 along the Colorado river is a wonderful experience.

4.  There are a lot of jeep/4-wheel roads.   Rent one, and spend a day.
Just terrific !   A special experience.   If you can go "behind the rocks"
it's worthwhile.

If you have time,  you can drive from Moab to:

1.  Capital Reef National Park.   Very worthwhile.

2.  Escalante National Monument.  The road from Capital Reef to the town
of Escalante is a great experience.

3.  Of course Bryce and Zion are within reach.  But I'd recommend spending
scarce time on the items mentioned above, if you have to choose.

4.  Natural Bridge monument south of Moab is worthwhile - but mainly
because of the driving to get there.  If you can see Comb Ridge just south
of there -- wow.

Driving some of the ranch roads in the San Rafael Swell (just west of
Green River) is worthwhile.
Driving Schaefer Canyon Road (from White Rim up to the top of the mesa) is
simply wonderful.  Not for the faint hearted though.

But in general, one cannot go wrong in this part of Utah.

Let me know if I can answer any more specific questions.

Bob Benson