[OM] Re: Chuck's 'round-the-country tour

Subject: [OM] Re: Chuck's 'round-the-country tour
From: Mike <watershed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2008 09:38:25 -0700

> ....We'll also stop in Coeur D'alene, Idaho to see an old friend ...
>
>   From Seattle we'll head down the coast through Portland and then pick up
> the coast road (101) to San Francisco and other points south ...
Some comments on the PacNW part of the trip;

I90 is a pretty boring route through WA, fastest but not recommended. At
Spokane I would suggest Hwy 2 to the Columbia River. This allows an easy
side trip to Grand Coulee and Dry Falls and Sun Lakes. A trip to the dam
itself (named after the coulee it blocks) is a few miles farther if you
like that sort of thing.
At the river you have the option of continuing Hwy 2 over Stevens Pass.
A much more scenic route than I90 over Snoqualmie Pass. I'd guess that
this route would add maybe 1½ hrs. to the drive time from Spokane to
Seattle.

At the Columbia River another option is to take Hwy 97 north up the
river to Pateros then up the Methow River (Hwy153) to Hwy 20 across the
North Cascades. This is perhaps the most scenic drive in this part of
the PacNW and should not be missed IMHO but would be best with a stop
over night at Lake Chelan,  (or Twisp or Winthrop). Contact me directly
for more info if you choose this route.

I5 from Seattle to Portland is another boring stretch. I did it many
times when my daughter was in school in Portland. The coast route is
very scenic but exceedingly slow going. I would pick just one section to
do on this trip.

Mike