[OM] Re: Zoomar for OM aka what'da think of this oddball

Subject: [OM] Re: Zoomar for OM aka what'da think of this oddball
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 4 Jul 2008 21:43:33 +1000
That's the beast. Better pix here on Steve Gandy's site but no samples -
http://www.cameraquest.com/zoomar13.htm
Truly weird object. John's is in much better condition than that
Chinese one on the Contax.
It's in Melbourne - the owner of pro-photog store Camera Exchange,
one John Corneille has owned one for about ten years and it was
stolen around five years ago when the shop was broken into. He just
recovered it - someone put it on Aus, Ebay. The seller claimed that
he'd picked it up in a market for a couple of hundred, put it aside
thinking it might make an astronomy project and then years later
decided to sell. John bought it back at less than the ask of $400.
15lb? It felt like more than that. Seriously unwieldy, a real
monster. It's wearing an EOS adapter at present. John clams that it
is soft but then he is a large format lover and Leica dealer so he's
a bit obsessive. (He's the local Voigt. dealer too). He also claims
that it's not a true f1.3 - the physics are wrong. He suggests a
total production in a single run of around 30 units and that t didn't
really measure up to their specs. It is technically for sale at AU
$9,000 but I don't think he'd go through with it.
Andrew Fildes
afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx