[OM] (OM) Winter travel photos, June 2008

Subject: [OM] (OM) Winter travel photos, June 2008
From: <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2008 21:38:48 +1200
Hello all,

Some winter alpine travel shots from this week, taken the easy way, using
an E1 and the 14-45 stock lens.  A different view of parts of New Zealand
from what many people might imagine.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=5043&l=b4eea&id=1027725807

Sorry for the small images, but my personal web-site is chock full at the
moment ... and the maximum facebook image width is 604 pixels as far as I
have been able to tell.

I had prepared for a really gruelling trip, with 2 pairs of snow-chains for
my little Toyota Starlet, but in the event, most of the really bad weather
confined itself to the coastal region this day, apart from wind and cloud
on the summits. So, combined with the often brilliant sunshine the cloud
gave good landscape effects. The worst of the road was mostly slushy ice
combined with grit and I encountered no really slippery ice or fresh snow.
Strong winds had blown the loose snow from the heads of the tussock plants,
which resulted in the snow being confined to the ground surface and really
pleasing textures in many of the scenes as the taller tussocks lifted
clear.

Brian.