[OM] Re: Dr. Flash reports on Will Crockett's DVD flash tutorial

Subject: [OM] Re: Dr. Flash reports on Will Crockett's DVD flash tutorial
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 28 Jun 2008 07:00:56 -0400
The "recommendation of keeping the ambient one-stop lower than flash"
was not a specific exposure recommendation, only an example to indicate
that when using TTL flash the flash must be the main light.  One stop is
probably a good rule of thumb but it could certainly be something else.

I think your comment about the Minolta A-series being the only cameras
to use focusing distance for flash exposure control is incorrect.  The
Minolta DSLRs incorporate the "Advanced Distance Integration" system as
well when used with D series lenses although, as you say, this is not
pure distance info but also integrates the pre-flash.  I assume the Sony
follow-ons do the same since they use the same lenses and flash units.

Canon and Nikon also use distance data.  Nikon has apparently used it
for a long time and Canon more recently with its E-TTL II which also
requires specific lenses with distance encoders.  As to why distance
alone is not the sole exposure determinant I point you to this excellent
article on Canon flash and the logic (or illogic) behind it.  See the
sections on E-TTL and E-TTL II near the middle of the page.
<http://photonotes.org/articles/eos-flash/index.html>

I guess I would be very surprised if E lenses do not also provide
distance data to the camera for flash power computation.

Dr. Flash