[OM] E3 Wireless RC Flash Question

Subject: [OM] E3 Wireless RC Flash Question
From: "James Howe" <jhoweaa@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2008 07:24:48 -0400
I have an Olympus E-3 and I recently purchased a Metz  48 AF-1 flash unit.
 The Metz is supposedly compatible with the Olympus RC Flash capability
(with recently updated firmware).  I was testing things out and I was able
to get the E3 to trigger the Metz.  However, what surprised me was that the
Olympus flash itself also flashed.  According to my E-3 owner's manual in
the notes section on the wireless capability "In RC mode, the built in flash
is used to control the wireless flash.  The built-in flash cannot be used
for flash shooting in this mode".   However, when I tried things out the
on-camera flash did in deed fire.  Sometimes this would be useful, but if
I'm trying to get just flash from the side, for example, having the camera
flash go off isn't desired.  I tried turning the flash 'off', but then the
Metz didn't fire.
Can someone tell me how this is supposed to work?  Have I completely
misunderstood something about this? (completely possible)  Is this caused by
a subtle incompatibility between the Metz and the E-3?  Does the FL-50R work
differently?  Since Metz had to release a firmware update to support the E3
I wouldn't be surprised if there are problems that need to be ironed out.

Thanks.

--
James Howe