[OM] Re: Stray Big Foot spotted! Lay your snares

Subject: [OM] Re: Stray Big Foot spotted! Lay your snares
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 07 Jun 2008 23:12:43 -0700
usher99@xxxxxxx wrote:
> Hey Moose,
> Interesting question. As a preamble I would say it is a safe assumption that
> you have forgotton more about hoods than I have ever learned. One site I have
> liked is: http://www.vanwalree.com/optics/lenshood.html
>
> A few users have reported a tendency for flare though I have experienced none
> thus far at higher mag with the hood in place. The CV users group appears to
> think highly of the lens as well.? The lens cap is an oddball metal screw-in
> variety though the overall engineering is superb.?
I would rather say, in the case of the hood, that manufacturing quality
is superb. Superb engineering would result in a 3:2 rectangular or some
sort of tulip hood.
> The hood has a nicely fitted rubber cap that makes it convenient to carry
> that way.?
Yes, a nice design detail. No reason it couldn't also be done with a
rectangular 3:2 hood.
> The squarish format should be more effective than an equivalent sized round
> hood
Yes, but less effective than a 3:2, rectangular hood.

Take another look at the link you provided. Down near the bottom, he has
some examples and a discussion of effectiveness. I think you will be
able to see that a square hood on a 3:2 format allows stray light in at
the top and bottom, landscape mode.

One elegant solution would be if you can obtain another hood cap, and
cut out a 3:2 opening the full width of the cap. It would be like the
capped tulip in the examples. You need a spare cap anyway, why not find
two at once?

Moose