[OM] Re: OT - anti virus / spyware programs

Subject: [OM] Re: OT - anti virus / spyware programs
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 03 Jun 2008 21:01:19 -0400
Bloat is the reason that I finally got rid of Symantec's Norton
Anti-Virus.  It had gotten so fat that it was taking over the machine,
couldn't get out of its own way and didn't know how to uninstall itself
without leaving hundreds of files and registry entries behind... some of
which continued to try and execute.  Symantec published instructions on
their web site concerning how to remove the stuff the uninstaller didn't
know about but even the folks writing those instruction didn't know it
all.  After meticulously following (maybe 10?) pages of written detail
it still didn't get it all.  The development process there was clearly
totally out of control.  Not what you want to depend on for anti-virus.

I wouldn't use McAfee either.  I was forced to use that at work at two
different companies and it did us some dirt at both.  I can't even
remember what it was now.  I only remember being extremely angry with
bugs that never should have gotten out the door.

It was someone here a couple years ago that suggested AVG Free.  I've
been using it ever since.

Chuck Norcutt