[OM] Re: New European Olympus Odyssey images posted

Subject: [OM] Re: New European Olympus Odyssey images posted
From: "Wiliam Wagenaar" <wiliam@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 1 Jun 2008 14:48:29 +0200
>Chuck Norcutt wrote:

>> I like the "blooms" but am a bit surprised at the grain on a small
scan.

>Funny. I was relatively pleased that what I saw as the results of cheap

>scanning only showed up obviously in one of the four images. :-)

>There's also excessive granularity on the bottom of PIC3. I would
simply

>crop it out, as I don't think that part adds to the composition. PIC3

>also appears to suffer a little from lost highlight detail.

>Better scans and/or NR should clean them up.

>Moose

-----

I am not at all happy with the crappy scan results. At the first Photo
printer the scanner had broken down. At a retailer I could not find any
data about resolution etc. and it would take a week before I would
receiv the CD. At the one hour lab where I finally went I asked what the
resolution would be. The guy just answered "4MB". I said "huh? what can
I conclude about that?" and he said "Yes, 4MB that is just what it is."
I should have been warned and left, but I left my film with them to
develop and scan. I picked everything up after about 3 hours and
returned home. I was (and still) am quite annoyed that the final scans
were only 1024x1544 pixels. Nowhere near 4MB in any file format. There
was also all kind of grain visible in most of the scans, as well as some
color casts. I tried to repair as much as possible with the relatovely
limited knowledge of PSCS2 I have on that matter. I have not used any
plugins for Noise reduction.

I will return to the lab to tell them that I am not satisfied and that
the photos were nowhere near 4MB. I´ll see how they handle that If not
to my satisfaction I am sure never again to return there. I will also
ask around in the two photoclubs I am a member of if someone is willing
to put some work in scanning my photos. If I get better results from
that I will update my photos on the OO website. For the time being what
you see is what I can get you.

Chjeers,

Wiliam