[OM] Re: Fwd: Memory stick formatting?

Subject: [OM] Re: Fwd: Memory stick formatting?
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 27 May 2008 01:45:34 -0700
Jez Cunningham wrote:
> Sounds like a tricky problem for the man in the street who could easily
> exceed 511 pictures on his point-and-shoot (especially as cards get bigger).
> Do regular memory cards (as opposed to USB sticks) come ready-formated with
> FAT32?
Depends on size and probably type. Up to 2GB CF and SD cards come
formatted with FAT16. 4GB and up are FAT32. xD Cards aren't up to the
size to need FAT32 yet. If they ever do, you can be sure Oly will do
something weird with the formatting.
>   Do P&S cameras format memory cards using FAT32?

Depends on the camera and card. Older cameras often won't do FAT32,
newer ones do. It's easy enough to tell. If the camera works with SDHC
cards and/or CF cards of 4GB and above, it can do FAT32, but will still
format smaller cards as FAT16.

To use the CHDK add-on software for the A650 on a 4BG SDHC card, I have
to format it using FAT16. The format command gives a warning about
non-standard cluster sizes, but the card works fine in camera and computer.

Moose