[OM] Re: Got an idea

Subject: [OM] Re: Got an idea
From: Marc Lawrence <montsnmags@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 23 May 2008 10:16:10 +1000
Darin wrote:
> Sounds like a great idea to me!

With the Odyssey and TOPE, could this dilute interest a bit (in all of
them)? It might perhaps be more interesting to build something around
TOPE, encouraging more participation in that. Certainly I say this with
some chagrin, having only ever participated in two or three TOPE events,
but then, perhaps that's the point.

On the other hand, is there a desire to "compete"? In my experience with
smallish forum-lead competitions, the same people deservedly win for
some time, until people start voting away from them when they notice
this trend, and the "competition" becomes more emotional than related to
quality. It's not always a bad thing, motivating developing
photographers, but it does seem to happen and, I think, is worth noting.

I don't mind the idea at all, but I just think it's worthwhile
considering these aspects (and no doubt many others that people come up
with) up front.

Cheers,
Marc