[OM] Re: Appalachians gone?

Subject: [OM] Re: Appalachians gone?
From: "Sandy Harris" <sandyinchina@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 May 2008 17:56:12 +0800
iwert bernakiewicz <zuikooh@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> what a horrible story. I'm getting the cold shivers while reading this.

Me too, even though I don't know the area. Puts me in mind of John Prine's
song "Paradise".

        And daddy won't you take me back to Muhlenberg County
        Down by the Green River where Paradise lay
        Well, I'm sorry my son, but you're too late in asking
        Mister Peabody's coal train has hauled it away
http://www.chordie.com/chord.pere/www.ultimate-guitar.com/print.php?what=tab&id=79992

Of course, it could be worse. China relies heavily on coal. Death rates
and working conditions in the mines are reportedly appalling.

Typically when a few dozen miners die, it is reported to be an illegal coal
mine and the government are sternly looking in to it and prosecuting those
responsible. What they don't report is that there are a dozen more "illegal"
mines nearby, and as long as the owners pay the right bribes to the local
Party officials no-one is going to look in to those.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/asia/chinas-coal-catastrophe-409258.html

Even the legal state-owned mines have deadly accidents:
http://www.china.org.cn/english/2005/Feb/120601.htm

And then there's the slave labour ...
http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/china/2007-06/16/content_895699.htm

--