[OM] Re: Korean gear drive tripod head - Photoclam Multiflex

Subject: [OM] Re: Korean gear drive tripod head - Photoclam Multiflex
From: "Jeff Keller" <jeffreyrkeller@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 May 2008 23:43:40 -0700
I sent an email to master@xxxxxxxxxx  Another person in
largeformatphotography.info had a friend in Korea track down the
contact. All I got back was a paypal request for money. They seem to
have a single person handle english communications (his english is
quite good). It can be very difficult and or slow to get a response.

Insanely priced is about $840 in Korean won wired to their bank or
about $1000 sent via PayPal with a couple days extra wait while they
verify they got the money. Although there are communication delays,
they seem to be very professional. After the post office sent them
notification that they hadn't been able to deliver it, the Korean
contact quickly sent me an email warning me it hadn't been delivered.
It took 8 just over a week to get it.

If you wait for the animation to load you will see that there is an
extra hinge which allows the head to be flipped up about 60 degrees,
while the gear drive can go slightly over 30 degrees providing
surprisingly quick change to a portrait orientation. The clamp is
mounted on a panoramic swivel and so is the entire head allowing the
camera to be easily leveled then rotated in a horizontal plane. I
believe Moose and others have said the 410 has a quick release on the
gear drive. This one doesn't. The cube is about 3.1" on a side.

The ability to quickly set up a level rotation for panoramas was one
of the attractions. I'm seeing many people want virtual tours. I want
to stay with Arca Swiss style quick releases. The cost of getting a
Manfrotto to meet the extra demands pushes it up into the rough range
of the Multiflex. I've seen about a 50 - 50 split of people saying
that the 410 head either can or can't handle a 5x7 camera. The Arca
cube has a vague rating saying that it can handle an 8x10. My limited
experience is that a heavy long telephoto is more demanding than a 5x7
(the camera flexes before the head does). The head seems to be VERY
solid but is probably slower to use with an SLR than a 410. The main
advantage of the tilting action is that it keeps the weight close to
the center of the tripod much like the gimbal heads used for long
telephotos.

-jeff