[OM] Re: Fuji's Troubles

Subject: [OM] Re: Fuji's Troubles
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 18 May 2008 17:45:02 +1000
Oh someone will try but I bet they won't go as low as 6mp.
And no-one ever lost their job by saying "Hey, we need to make a 16mp
version next."
But a stylish and simple product can work if it is clever enough -
the iPod proved it.
Just heard from a person in the UK, a painter who is using a Sigma DP-1.
She loves the 'painterly' way in which it renders colour and prefers
it to her Leica V-Lux.
That's a different and 'simple' product that needs careful use.

I suspect that this megapickle madness may be one of the few things
that the Moose and I actually agree on.
But I think you're wrong on the Canon marketing - they attack quite
different markets.
The A650 is aimed at the consumer who expects to drop it in a bin
within about three years.
The kind of person who says to me at work - "It's alright but it's
four years old and I want something better, with a bigger screen.
What do you recommend?"
The G9 is aimed at the person who wants a 'good' camera and is
prepared to put a bit of work in.
(It does really nice macro, by the way).
I check in my local store when I can but I'll bet that the A620 and
it's cousins outsell the G9 and it's chums. Especially just before
the holidays.

When I think  about the way people use cameras (that's 'people', not
us) I think of #1 son who at present is wandering in the Andes
between Argentina and Chile. I complimented a couple of his shots and
asked if he wanted to send them home. He said that he was uploading
them to Fluckr and then deleting them! So all he has now is tiny, low
def. files. At least, that's all I could pull down. Never really
occurred to him. I yelled a bit and now he's promised to send them
back full size on CD.
Sigh. Good job he knows about fones or I'd have to disinherit him.
Andrew Fildes
afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx