[OM] Re: [OT] Interior design

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] Interior design
From: Mike <watershed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 09 May 2008 20:15:06 -0700
Chuck, I design and build kitchens for a living. Looks like yours was
designed by the pimple faced kid at Lowe's. Your cheapest/easiest
solution is to replace the refer with  a cabinet depth model with double
doors. No need to spend a bunch for a SubZero 700 series but maybe
something like a Jennaire or GE Monogram. Still spendy enough. Anything
else involves ripping and tearing. If you are handy with tools it may be
possible to create a cavity behind the refer by removing the drywall and
studs and then framing in a little alcove. I sometimes specify this
during the construction. You did say that the garage is on the other
side? If the framing is 2x6 then all that is necessary is an additional
3 inches or so leaving room for some rigid insulation. This will
probably also require some plumbing and electrical knowledge. I can't
tell the dimensions from the photos but the refer requires a certain
width because of the geometry of the door when open. make sure it
doesn't bind. A typical refer is 27~28" to the opening of the door so a
recess of 28~29" from the face of the cabinets is ideal. I also can't
tell from the photo if the hinge knuckle on top will clear the cabinet
above. Unfortunately the kid didn't include a finish panel to the right
of the refer so you either have to refinish the alcove with drywall or
buy a sheet of cherry ply. Now you can switch the door swing. Anything
else will involve removing cabinets.

Mike