[OM] Re: (OT) Swimming at Victoria Falls

Subject: [OM] Re: (OT) Swimming at Victoria Falls
From: Tim Hughes <timhughes@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2008 00:46:23 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Chris,
       When I was there a few years back I ran into a Zanu (Mugabe's party)
cabinet minister, who
lived close to where I was staying in the suburbs. We had a long political
discussion.  In
retrospect not the smartest thing.   Talk about State of denial, it was like
hearing Donald
Rumsfeld talk about how everything was going perfectly to plan in Iraq!  Zim
politicians are
ostracized and not allowed to visit most countries, including the US and he
talked about his son
who lives/studies somewhere in Texas (?), I think.  At the time we discussed
the "small financial
problem" Zimbabwe has with inflation etc, but skirted any really controversial
political freedom
topics.

I was also briefly detained by police while taking photographs (with my OM
gear), while using two
different (fairly large) novoflex pistol mount lenses in the city.  They
eventually let me go when
I persuaded them I was not a reporter, and just doing street photography of
people. It does make
you feel like a spy though, when you take pictures of simple things like gas
lines stretching for
miles, with a wait of days sometimes, for petrol. I was pretty careful while
photographing
anything that might be thought even remotely controversial like that...

Many,many years ago I ran right into the middle of a big military training
operation in the sticks
in E. Zimbabwe, where the Zimbabwe Army where being trained by the so called
North Korean , 5th
brigade. It was real nightmare, but we eventually talked our way out of that,
but for a while they
thought we were spys from South Africa. We had to creep by the No-go live round
firing area, which
we almost drove into the middle of.

Tim Hughes