[OM] Re: An interesting article on avoiding moire when downsizing images

Subject: [OM] Re: An interesting article on avoiding moire when downsizing images
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2008 18:48:02 -0400
There was some follow-on discussion regarding the results on that page
that indicated the problem area for moire was actually the JPEG
compression.  When starting with a GIF of the original most of the
algorithms did OK without any help.  Another poster said he has been
unable to create the type of moire seen in that article despite using
lots of images of shingled houses.

Anyhow, the point was that different algorithms may return different
results under different conditions.  I believe Moose's preference for
Fred Miranda's SI Pro has to do with upsizing.  This discussion was
about downsizing for the web.

Chuck Norcutt