[OM] Re: Four questions for you experts

Subject: [OM] Re: Four questions for you experts
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2008 19:42:13 -0700
> From: Bob_Benson@xxxxxxxxx
>
> 1.   Except for the viewfinder...

That's a pretty big "except!"

>   will I see significant differences between
> 510 and E-3 assuming the same lens is used ??

Depends on what you mean by "significant." They might look the same to
you, while some golden-eyes type on dpreview pixel-peeps a world of
difference.

I think you buy the E-3 for a lot of things besides image quality. But
I've heard the high-ISO quality is better than the E-510.

> 2.  Will I see a significant difference between the 12-60 and the
> 510 kit
> lens?

Not having both, I would venture "yes." The 12-60 is simply
outstanding. Even though it's sold with the E-3, it's no "kit" lens,
that's for sure.

>   That is,  would you put the 12-60 on the 510?

Like putting lipstick on a pig? :-)

There should be no reason not to put the 12-60 on the E-510.

> 3.  Will I see a significant difference between the high-end Zuikos
> (the
> 100 f2,  35 f2,  50 MIJ,  21 f2) mounted on the E-3/510 compared to
> the
> 12-60?

The one complaint I've heard about the 12-60 is some waveform
distortion at the wide end. But unless you're shooting artwork or
architecture, it shouldn't bother you.

Of those you cite, I think the 100/2 might be interesting, but unless
you really needed the extra stop, I wouldn't bother with the others,
except for playing around and testing. The OMs that really shine on a
E body are the telephotos.

Good luck! And remember, they're only grandchildren; they'll forgive
you.

:::: Natural gas is hemispheric. I like to call it hemispheric in
nature because it is a product that we can find in our neighborhoods.
-- George W. Bush ::::
:::: Jan Steinman <http://www.VeggieVanGogh.com> ::::