[OM] Re: First Try C41 process B&W film (3)

Subject: [OM] Re: First Try C41 process B&W film (3)
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2008 14:12:12 -0700
AG Schnozz wrote:
>> Michael Wong wrote:
>> Water front of Central & Sheung Wan, Hong Kong Island. Left hand side is
>> Central & right hand side is Sheung Wan.
> Something is a bit "off" in this scan. The midtones are all clumped
> together as though the scan exposure was way off and the tonal
> gradient is represented by too few bits.

Michael, I like the subject/compositions, especially the soft mood of #2.

Like others, I find technical a couple of problems with the
film/processing/scanning/whatever.

I agree that the midtone distribution is "off". Not sure of the cause,
as there is some tonal detail all across the histogram, just very thin
at the ends. Contrast is also low, both at macro and micro levels.

As to the noise, it certainly seems excessive, but I know less than you
about the likely cause(s), as I've never used this film.

In any case, I've done some alternate versions. The grain, overall
softness and sepia tone seem appropriate to me for #2. Personally, I
prefer the crisper look of pure B&W for #s 1 and 3.
<http://galleries.moosemystic.net/MooseFoto/index.php?gallery=Others/MWong>

Moose