[OM] Re: Olympus Image Stabilization

Subject: [OM] Re: Olympus Image Stabilization
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 08 Apr 2008 13:47:09 -0400
I think it goes back a lot farther than that.  This baby certainly had
flex cables on the heads.  With the right access pattern the heavy,
hydraulically actuated read/write heads were prone to setting up a
sympathetic side-to-side vibration that could cause the machine to try
to walk across the floor.  I've seen one break its 400 volt power cable
when it started to walk before I could stop it.  But I don't think it
broke flex cables on the heads.  I operated one for a year in 1965/66.
It was part of a manufacturing control system which operated pretty much
24/7.  I don't recall any other failures beyond the stretched power
cable and a burned circuit board caused by contaminated water from the
A/C system on the floor above dripping through a crack in the floor and
into the machine.  The cat's meow.  25-28 million characters (not bytes)
storage capacity and it only cost $2,100/month on lease.  Woo hoo!
<http://www-03.ibm.com/ibm/history/exhibits/storage/storage_1301.html>

Chuck Norcutt