[OM] Re: Sale of an Olympus legend

Subject: [OM] Re: Sale of an Olympus legend
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 6 Apr 2008 20:04:42 -0700

> From: David Thatcher <davidt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> On Fri, Apr 04, 2008 at 09:00:01PM -0700, Jan Steinman wrote:
>> Although the tax man feels cheated by it somehow...
>> they don't declare their food and lodging as income and pay taxes
>> on it.
>>
> I seem to recall reading somewhere that even the value of 'barter'
> income (e.g. payment 'in kind' like food & lodging or exchange of
> services rendered) may actually be taxable income, at least here in
> Australia.

Key word here is "declare." We are not required to report it as
taxable income, and I doubt many of our helpers bother to put it on
their tax return as "barter income."

:::: If addiction is judged by how long a dumb animal will sit
pressing a lever to get a "fix" of something, to its own detriment,
then I would conclude that the Internet is far more addictive than
cocaine. -- Rob Stampfli
:::: Jan Steinman <http://www.Bytesmiths.com/Item/98-4880-34>