[OM] Re: Selenium light meters (Was: OM 2N vs OM4T(i) - Relative reliabi

Subject: [OM] Re: Selenium light meters (Was: OM 2N vs OM4T(i) - Relative reliability/repairability)
From: Tim Hughes <timhughes@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 6 Apr 2008 18:53:45 -0700 (PDT)
Chuck, You are right I did not check link.

The nice thing about the selenium PV cells, is the they have very aproximately
the right spectral
sensitivity for photography.
Silicon is way off, even the so called blue enhanced need an IR filter and
more.
In the US the Quantum Calculite(?) and Calcuflash range of electronic
lighmeters which use 1mm^2
Silicon cells as sensors, have very careful spectral correction filters, so
that the meters can be
used for industrial as well as regular photographic use. Normaly most
photographic meters have
very low absolute accuracy requirements.  A few other photographic,meters have
industrial specs
like the Minolta spot meters which are widely used for measuring lcd sceen
brightness etc.

Tim Hughes