[OM] Re: (OT) Copper canyon

Subject: [OM] Re: (OT) Copper canyon
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2008 13:13:40 -0700
Mike Bloor wrote:
> Has anyone travelled by train through the Copper Canyon in Mexico
> ?  I will be working in Chihuahua for a week and have two days at the
> start of my visit to go by rail from Chihuahua part way to the coast and back.
>
> It seem that on the first class train, passengers have to gather in
> the vestibules between carriages to get shots without windows in the
> way.  However, I have seen advertisements for a private car that is
> added to some trains and has a large open space ideal for photography.

It appears from the web that none of the special tours are as short as
the time you have available. So even if there are special cars, they
aren't available for your time frame.
> If any one has any knowledge or suggestions about this trip, including where
> to be when for the best pictures, I would be grateful.

I don't know anything special, but can find schedules. The railroad
itself offers an overnight package partway down and back.
<http://www.railsnw.com/Tours/copper/chepe01_chi_tour02.htm#copper>
> I would also appreciate any advice on hotels in Chihuahua. Are there any
> luxury hotels there ?  Whenever I search using Google, I seem to end up with
> the Holiday Inn Express.

You are using the wrong search tool. A quick check on aaa.com shows many
hotels and I'm sure travelocity, expedia and other travel sites will
also show a selection.

I used to travel to Mexico on business. Things may have changed with
NAFTA, but you might want to do a little research. Mexico used to
require a different visa for business. As a practical matter, when
traveling to Mexico City or Mazatlan, I just dressed casual did the
usual simple tourist card/visa thing.

In Monterrey, another No. city far from tourist destinations, they were
delaying and asking questions of arrivals who were dressed for business.
I was dressed like a tourist, as I didn't have business until the next
day, and simply lied about the purpose of my visit that first time. As I
was going to be visiting several more times, I got a business visa. This
was all some time ago.

Moose