[OM] Re: [OT] any structural engineers on the list

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] any structural engineers on the list
From: swisspace <swisspace@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2008 22:02:22 +0100
apologies if you get this twice but it seems my isp smtp servers playing up.

Cool, when you have finished do you fancy popping over to switzerland to
help me do my carport roof  5m by 7m with apex roof ;-)

Piers Hemy wrote:
> Funnily enough, I looked in on a wooden-barn-construction weekend-course

Your reasoning
> On that slim experience I hereby claim to be an expert!
>
> I assume you mean the cross beam is mortice-and-tenon jointed into the
> wall
> beam? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woodworking_joints may help
>   beam.  Thus a relatively small tenon on the end of the wall beam
> will reduce
> the strength of the wall beam significantly less than one which is
> half the
> height of the wall beam.

Aha yes it is as you describe and I follow your logic and reasoning, I
am just suspicious now of  such people after having a flat roof done on
my garage in the  UK and thinking to myself why doesn't he seal up the
sides otherwise its going to leak, but assumed he new what he was doing
- It leaked and I regretted not saying something at the time.

The standards and training are very high in Switzerland however this
makes everything that involves labour very very expensive but I guess it
means I can trust them to get on with the job :-)