[OM] Re: Arthur C. Clarke dead at 90 [was OT - How is this done ?]

Subject: [OM] Re: Arthur C. Clarke dead at 90 [was OT - How is this done ?]
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2008 20:15:54 -0700
Chuck Norcutt wrote:
> I read it much later in life but also a captivating read.
Against the Fall of Night was his first novel, I think. Expanded from a
story or novella. I know I read it, but don't remember a thing about it.
> That book made it sink in that an advanced civilization capable of traversing
> a universe filled with varied life forms could just whiz on by the earth as
> not even notable in the grander scheme of things.  Sort of puts us in our
> place.

Hmm. Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy does that too. Not just
un-notable, but in the way. ;-)
> James R wrote:
>
>> I might well look that out Bob. Rendezvous with Rama falls into that
>> category for me - completely captivated me as a teen.

Now that one I remember, probably because I wasn't a teenager when I
read it. I was a science and sci-fi nut as a kid and had tracked down
even the most obscure books. Lost the mania years ago and am quite out
of date, only dabbling now and again. Fantasy more than the hard stuff now.

Been thinking I might read a Clarke or two now. I'm sure I have "Night"
in a box somewhere, probably a paper first edition on cheap paper now
ready to disintegrate. And maybe a Rama II floating around somewhere.

Moose