[OM] Geeks and nerds (That can't be OT in this crowd.)

Subject: [OM] Geeks and nerds (That can't be OT in this crowd.)
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2008 21:35:41 -0700
Ian Manners wrote:
> The problem with engineers is that they cheat in order to get results. The
> problem with mathematicians is that they work on toy problems in order to get
> results. The problem with program verifiers is that they cheat on toy
> problems in order to get results.

Since you skipped picking on physicists, I can't resist this joke from
the TV comedy. Big Bang Theory.

A farmer is having trouble with chicken that aren't laying. Being
impressed with the power of science, he asks a couple of physicists to
find a way to get the hens laying again.

After much study and theoretical work, they come back and tell him
"We've got a solution, but it only works with spherical chickens in a
vacuum."

By the way, I recommend the show to anyone with a geek streak in them -
and possibly to those who love a geek or reforming nerd.

"Because we Can!"

Moose