[OM] Re: check out this posting: Olympus OM 24 - 40 zoom

Subject: [OM] Re: check out this posting: Olympus OM 24 - 40 zoom
From: "Fabio Fiorellato" <flowerside@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2008 15:40:44 +0100
Got it! (well, sort of).

At this link:

[ http://www.google.com/patents?id=fKI0AAAAEBAJ ]

you'll find a patent for a "Very compact wide-angle zoom lens system" by
Olympus Optical Co. Ltd., dating back to 1978.

There are 4 distinct "incarnations" of such a wide-angle zoom: the first two
are constant f4s, whose field of view ranges from 84° to 56°, (that is 24 to
40mm f4 zooms). The latter two are constant f3.5s, whose field of view
ranges from 84° to 62° (that is 24 to 35mm f3.5 zooms).

Judging by the actual pictures of the production (!) item recently appeared
on the list, I suppose that it should be a slight variation of the first two
designs, both showing a very weak positive front element and a small back
element (the one nearest to the film plane).

Aberrations for the first two embodiements are quite small, if not for a
pronounced distortion (something less than 4%) on the wide end.

With the original patent finally in hand, such crafted persons as John
(Hermanson) will easily be able to start a mass production of this almost
forgotten lens... :)

Regards!

Fabio