[OM] Re: Scored a cover!

Subject: [OM] Re: Scored a cover!
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2008 22:38:10 -0700
Chuck Norcutt wrote:
> .....  The point was simply that the use of a standard on the web precludes
> the necessity of embedding a profile which occupies a significant number of
> bytes.  That's exactly why it's used.

I don't believe it. A profile tag is just that, a handful of bytes.

I think it's good old fashioned inertia and lack of understanding of
something arcane to C++ programmers and UI designers.

Check the numbers. I saved an 800x533 pixel JEPG at PS level 7 three times.

Adobe RGB with tag  109,162 bytes
sRGB with tag       117,874 bytes
sRGB without tag    114,686 bytes

Less that 3k bytes in todays world is less than a sneeze. I can remember
writing little utilities in assembler that ended up as exes smaller than
that, but those days are long gone.

Moose