[OM] OT: Canon TTL Flash Was: FL-36R features an optical slave?

Subject: [OM] OT: Canon TTL Flash Was: FL-36R features an optical slave?
From: usher99@xxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2008 18:11:25 -0400
Yes, I remember a thread started by Jeff last year with a link to a
Will Crockett article.  The Metz 58Af1 aand I think the 54 series were
very very good in non ttl auto.  Interestingly he said don't bother at
all with TTL for fill with the Canyons and he grumbled that the auto
mode  which works fine on the new 580 EX11 is buried in a nested menu.
Still much grousing with ETTL-2.
They can't quite get it right.  Last years article mentioned the Q-ttl
with Quantum was the exception, though the price of admission is quite
high.  One of the upcoming horse cams (G9) works fine with the T32 on
auto with the omnibounce or Lumiquest thingamajigee on manual.  The
whole G series will not support any Canyon flash eTTL mode whilst the
camera is in manual mode, AFAIK.  Dr. No- flash probably not interested
anyways.
Mike

At 06:20 AM 3/14/2008, Chuck Norcutt wrote:

>TTL OTF does work well in many situations but OTF has gone the way of
>the dodo bird with digital.  Unfortunately, no digital system is able
>measure exposure (flash or ambient) during the actual exposure.  Read
>about the "ease" of digital TTL here.  Sounds pretty manual to me.
><http://www.shootsmarter.com/content/view/175/>
>
>Dr. Flash

Hi Chuck & Moose,

I haven't been following this thread so I'm not sure what's being
discussed.  Anyway, a nice write up on Canon flash operation (or lack
of it) can be found here:

<http://photonotes.org/articles/eos-flash/>