[OM] OT: Photo vest use (topic change) Was "New back pack on the way."

Subject: [OM] OT: Photo vest use (topic change) Was "New back pack on the way."
From: r.burnette@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 06 Mar 2008 02:58:37 -0500
Wayne:

I use a photo vest on some photo excursions, such as to the local zoo, parks,
flower gardens, tourist attractions, events, etc. My primary digital camera is
an E-510. I usually carry my photo gear in a small, well-packed LowePro Nova 1
AW shoulder bag. When I want a light-weight kit, I carry my 50mm Macro, an
EC-14 Tele Converter, an EX-25 Extension Tube, the 14-42mm and 40-150 zooms, an
FL-50 flash w/flash diffuser and accessories (extra batteries, CF cards,
polarizer, etc.)

If I need more "firepower" or am out for an extended shoot, I use the photo
vest for my 50-200mm zoom and/or my 14-54 zoom (if I think I'll need faster
zooms than the kit lenses), a water bottle, a small Leatherman tool kit,
snacks, maps, brochures, etc. If I choose, I can hang a monopod from the vest
like a policeman's baton.

I find a vest quite comfortable if the weight is reasonably well-distributed.
The only time it bothers me is in very hot weather.  Depending upon vest
material and design, moderate weather is generally no problem. Inclement
weather is another matter. A vest doesn't offer much in the way of moisture
protection. That's a good reason to pack a light-weight plastic rain parka in
the vest's rear pocket. Having lots of pockets is an asset.

As for practicality, when switching lenses frequently I find that shifting
appropriate lenses from the camera bag to the vest makes switches much quicker
and more convenient than using the camera bags and having to manipulate clasps,
zippers and such. So far, I haven't used the vest on an assignment. But, on
some assignments I think a photo vest would be more convenient than camera bag
or backpack. I wouldn't hesitate to wear one. YMMV.  In that case, don't wear a
vest.   ;o)

Robert