[OM] Re: LCD protectors - Glasses

Subject: [OM] Re: LCD protectors - Glasses
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 2 Mar 2008 08:27:27 +1100
Badly of course but - I adjust the dioptre correction for my left eye
(!) which is +0.25 - the optometrist claims that it's 20/20 and was
surprised when I claimed that it wasn't good enough. The right is
+0.5 so there's no way I'll convert just yet.
I wear glasses while shooting but have an eyepiece extension on the
5D and tend to chimp with the E-330 - bought it to use the screen
after all. I do have the magnifying eyepiece on that too though. The
eyepiece extension allows me to hook my glasses under it and then
move my head back and check the screen looking down through them.
I buy the cheap glasses too - I can get them for as low as $4 a pair
but the quality is variable and they are flimsy compared to the
$25-30 pair better ones from the chemist. However, while I use a  +1
for computer work and a +1.5 for reading, I have a pair of +3 dioptre
glasses in my camera bag. A 3" screen is still very small and the
strength of readers is all about the range - the distance at which
you look at something. You tend to hold a screen much closer and,
even if chimping with a compact, a 6 viewing distance is better than
'reading distance.  Using overstrength glasses that give you that
range is excellent.
Andrew Fildes
afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx